Recycling ideas and tutorial: make a skirt from a mens button shirt

2010-06-03 5
Recycling ideas and tutorial: make a skirt from a mens button shirt
Sewing patterns

2010-06-03 2I’ve been wanting to make a skirt like this since last year, when my favourite vintage store Ramona West, listed a whole bunch of skirts reworked from vintage mens shirts.
Mine obviously looks slightly different though, as it isn’t as gathered (I could have fixed this by using a larger shirt to begin with, but I wanted to use one of Hubby’s old ones), and isn’t as short (I really can’t get away with wearing skirts that short!).
Anyway, don’t you just love it? I think it’s perfect for the heat and how casual I’m feeling today
Here’s how you can make your own:
  1. Cut your shirt from arm pit to arm pit

  2. Serge or zig zag stitch the raw edge to neaten it up.

  3. Fold over by 1 1/2″ and sew 1/4″ from the serged edge, leaving a 2″ gap at one of the side seams.

  4. Cut 1″ wide elastic so that it is 4″ shorter than your waist measurement.

  5. Thread the elastic through the gap.

  6. Sew the ends of the elastic together.

  7. Sew up the hole you left… and you’re done!

2010-06-03 5
Lace trim tank: Gap
Skirt: Refashioned from one of Hubby’s old shirts
Boat shoes: Ralph Lauren, via Younkers
Necklace: Vintage via Etsy
Source: @blog.megannielsen.com