Freshening things up

This was my last week of summer vacation, and I spent most of it scrubbing, scraping and painting. We live in a small, sweet old house that is in need of some work. We've been holding off on fixing things up till we have enough money saved for real renovations, but it had gotten to the point where things were really starting to get grubby. Several cans of white paint later, the house is looking a lot fresher.





Before kitchen yellow

(before)

When we moved in, we made the rookie move of painting each room a bold, vibrant colour. The old kitchen paint was aptly named "Highlighter Yellow", which made the room look even smaller than it was.





shelving coverup

(after)

Now it's a wash of white with blue accents. I've always loved white and blue for a kitchen. So crisp and clean.





Our small kitchen lacks cabinet space, so most of our food, baking dishes, and kitchen appliances are stored in big plastic bins on these utility shelves–not very attractive. I bought 8 metres of old-fashioned kitchen toweling and made curtains to hide the clutter.



Freshened up kitchen

Much better!



denim weave

My favourite part is this little wall hanging. It's actually a denim rag rug, but looks rather fetching as a wall decoration. DH is not so sure about it, but I love it!



Now that the big work is done, I can concentrate on spending the rest of this weekend with more relaxing occupations.



sweet little fabric piles

I spent the afternoon sorting some of my favourite fabric scraps into coordinated piles. I've got a plan for these, though I don't yet want to reveal what that is.



I hope you are having a lovely weekend too!