Food gifts: Felt Food Salty Crackers Tutorial, kids craft ideas




salty crackers I must have sewn at least 100 different felt foods since I started my daughters collection. One afternoon having nothing whatsoever to do with myself  I decided to make felt saltine crackers, why? Because I couldn’t think of anything else I hadn’t yet made. These are actually really easy to make and you can whip up an entire box of them in a single afternoon.
What started off as an after thought has quickly become my absolute favorite felt food of all time, sure some people like frilly wool felt cupcakes and others prefer the more solid and interactive felt sandwich, there is something so basic and cool about these. I love them so much that I can’t stand if one gets lost , it seriously creates some anxiety and I have to dig through the sea of felt food crammed into her little pink retro style  fridge and retrieve it. When I finally find my (notice I call it “my”) lost little crackers, I always place them all together back  in their little plastic container and walk away smiling.  Here’s hoping you love yours as much!
Happy Crafting Andie
Food gifts: Felt Food Salty Crackers Tutorial, kids craft ideas



salty crackers2
These little guys are easy to make here’s what I used:
This will give you 4 crackers
1 sheet of felt in buttercream
Thread to match the felt
Wool batting-  about 4 inch square, you can also use acrylic batting but you will need to double them possibly even triple since they don’t have the same loft as wool, you can also use stuffing but you will want to make it lay as flat as possible.
Cut the felt into a 2.5  inch square and the batting  into a 2 inch square. See diagram below for approximate cracker size, ignore the dots for now.
american felt and craft felt food cracker felt food cracker stitchSandwich batting between two felt triangles and whip/ overcast stitch up sides in coordinating thread I used red for clarity. (at this point you may want to mark out the pattern of dots shown above with pencil if you don’t want to wing it) Now knot your thread and go in to the cracker through the side.american felt and craft felt food cacker in through side                                                                                            american felt and craft felt food cracker small stitch
Pop the needle through the first dot on the template above, sew a small stitch pulling thread slightly so the batting puffs up around the stitch. Pop needle back out on the opposite side and make another small stitch mirroring your first.
american felt and craft felt food cracker betweenbatting
Now instead of moving the needle out of cracker move needle head between the sandwiched felt squares (where your wool is) and out through the next dot on the template above .  Sew a small stitch once again pulling it tight and repeat for the last indentation on the first row.
american felt and craft felt food cracker second rowStart dots on second row by once again moving in between your two felt pieces.  Place your next stitch underneath and in between your dots above. The  line up doesn’t to be precise. This becomes second nature after you do one or two.  Now move between the felt again and create the second and last stitch on the second row, the  row patterns are  3, 2, 3, 2, 3 .
Proceed to the next set of three lining them up directly below the first set of three.
free felt  food pattern cracker finish
Finish your cracker by coming out the side and hiding your knot between whip stitches…Tada!

Source:americanfeltandcraft.wordpress.com