New Napkins

It seems that ever since I rescued Princess Peach in Super Mario Galaxy and released the Twilight Princess and restored peace to the realm in Zelda Twilight Princess I've been sewing more than ever. Swordfighting on the Wii is a funny shake of the wrist. If you press the buttons willy-nilly and shake the controllers wildly, you'll find yourself to be a very talented swordfighting warrior on Zelda.

I purchased some glorious fabric from Purlsoho.com. I was looking through their clearance fabric choices and the had this cute vintage style stripe in a linen cotton blend manufactured by Yuwa Fabrics in Japan. It seemed like my package was already being shipped to me hours after I ordered it. This stuff has pretty much the exact feel of vintage table linens. In fact my husband's aunt sent me a nice everyday tablecloth that was her mother's in this exact type of fabric, so I am quite excited!

Stripey Napkins

I got two 1 1/2 yard cuts of the only 2 colorways they had left. It would have been awesome to have a yellow stripe and a red stripe too, but this is a dozen napkins and two table runners, which is plenty for now. The napkins measure about 19 inches square.

Napkin set

Here you can see how I took the time to miter the corners. I'm very happy with how this turned out!
Mitered Corner Napkins

We don't care for paper napkins around here. I found that when we had kids, they just use them up way too fast. They also take up too much space in my very limited pantry. Now I keep a stash of cloth napkins in a drawer on our kitchen table and we each get our own color. I never iron them. You can reuse cloth napkins from one meal to the next, but we usually use fresh ones at suppertime.

Here are our old napkins which are still good, but they are getting a bit stained after about 6 years of use. I always wished I'd mitered the corners of these when I sewed them, only because this type of square corner is bulkier when folded up.
Old napkins

These new prints make me feel like we need some homemade ice cream sundaes for supper tonight!