Crafts tutorial: Hanging Fabric Doilies


Mobile 7Crafts tutorial: Hanging Fabric Doilies


Since learning to sew a few months ago so I have been thrilled to enter the vast world of incredible fabric!! Among the many projects that I have taken on for my daughter and her nursery is a fun puff quilt, and I just loved squeezing as many tiny pieces of beautiful fabric together as possible on it. There was no need to restrain myself among the fabric gorgeousness, and I barely did! But after spending entirely too much time researching, shopping for and ordering fabric, I realized that I wanted a more permanent way to display the collection in her nursery than just the quilt.
Picnik collage1 1

So I came up with these Hanging Fabric Doilies. Aren't they sweet?!
Want to see the details? Read on!
Fabric doiley 4
I started off with 6 inch and 4 inch paper doilies. I cut off the lace edges and used the center circles as templates to cut out my fabric circles.
Mobile 4
I mixed equal parts of fabric stiffener and water, brushed it onto the circles and let them air dry.
Fabric doiley 1
They dry a bit wrinkly, so I ironed them flat on a low heat setting, then folded them in half and ironed down the crease.
Fabric doiley 5
I took 2 doilies, folded those in half as well, and paper clipped them together so that they wouldn't shift while I was sewing them.
Mobile 2
I slipped one of the creased and stiffened fabric circles under the paperclips on each side of the doilies.
Mobile 3
I then sewed a straight stitch down the center of the doilies and fabric circles, using my creases as a guide, and left a 3 foot long string at one end.
Mobile 1
Now I was really getting excited! I wanted my fabric circles to lay flat against the doilies, so I used a thin squiggle of hot glue to secure them in place.
Fabric doiley 6
I opened up the folded sides of the doilies and glued 2 coordinating fabric circles onto those as well.
Fabric doiley 7
You could leave the alternating sides blank, but since this is for a nursery I wanted alternating colors to best keep the baby's interest.
Fabric doiley 2
I made several fabric doilies in different sizes and pattern combinations, and hung them from the ceiling above the rocking chair.
Mobile 9Mobile 15
I also made five of the 4 inch fabric doilies and strung them onto the frame from my son's old mobile.
Picnik collage2
It was the perfect way to spread the fabric around the room, add some pops of color, and still leave a light touch.
Mobile 3
I just love the sweet detail on the doilies and the bursts of color are just too fun!
Mobile 7
Curious about the fabrics?