Malabrigo weave scarf

This one was a long time coming.

basketweave3
Some Malabrigo goodness for me. This sat in my office knitting basket for quite a long time, progressing slowly as I stole a few furtive stitches here and there during lunch break.

I became quite proficient at cabling without a cable needle on this one. The fuzziness of the Malabrigo means the stitches want to stay put, making the job a whole lot easier.

basketweave1

I took the pattern out of one of my stitch dictionaries. Here's what I did if you would like to knit your own. It's dead easy:


Malabrigo Weave Scarf


Yarn: 4-5 skeins of Malabrigo Worsted, seen here in Grey Pearl (I used 5 skeins, because I wanted an extra long scarf, but 4 would be more than enough for an average length scarf.)
Needles: 6 mm, or whatever size gives you a pleasing fabric. I'm not specifying gauge here, because it's not crucial.

Cables:
4CF: put next 2 stitches on cable needle, bring to front, knit next 2 stitches, then knit 2 stitches from cable needle
4CB: put next 2 stitches on cable needle, bring to back, knit next 2 stitches, then knit 2 stitches from cable needle

Instructions:
Cast-on 46 stitches (or a multiple of 4+2)

Row 1(RS): K2, *4CF (repeat * to end)
Row 2(WS): Purl to end
Row 3: *4CB (repeat * to last 2 sts), K2
Row 4: Purl to end

Keep going till you get the desired length. I didn't want to add a fringe, but that means that my edges curl a bit, which is ok, because I wear it looped around my neck with the edges tucked under (the giant cowl look). You might want to add a fringe, or start with a garter band to flatten the ends.

basketweave2

More info on the pattern can be found here on Ravelry. I'll try and write it up as a PDF over the Christmas holidays. Let me know if you end up making one. I'd love to see!